Making a claim

You can make a claim for losses and damages if VMIA is the insurer and your building or renovating project has incomplete or defective works as your builder:

  • has died, disappeared or become insolvent; or
  • for policies issued on or after 1 July 2015, failed to comply with a Tribunal or Court Order

In our terminology, these are the events that can ‘trigger’ a DBI policy. Find out more about our policy triggers

  • If VMIA is not the insurer or you don’t have a DBI policy ‘trigger’ you can contact the Building Information Line on 1300 55 75 59 between 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays), for free building information and advice. You can also access helpful information on resolving building disputes on Consumer Affairs Victoria's Building disputes, defects and delays page.
  • If VMIA is the insurer and you wish to alert us to a notifiable event under the policy, please complete a notification
  • If VMIA is the insurer and you have a policy ‘trigger’ you can proceed to make a claim with us.

Full details of what you’re entitled to claim, can be found in your domestic building insurance policy

To make a claim, complete the online claim form

To avoid delays with your claim, please ensure you provide us with as much information as possible

What you need to do

  • Fully complete the claim form
  • Attach copies of the requested documents
  • List and number each defect and/or incomplete item you are claiming in detail on the claim form and include the date the defect was first noticed
  • Provide copies of all invoices, receipts and bank statements as proof of their payment, including payments made to your builder under the contract
  • Ensure you read our claims process [PDF, 232KB] 
  • If your home is incomplete take steps to secure your property, including any building materials on the site. This includes checking with the liquidator or administrator (in the case of an insolvent builder) regarding whether the builder's 'contract works' insurance is still valid for your building works. if not you should consider taking out this insurance yourself. Contact the National Insurance Brokers Association (NIBA) to find out which insurers offer 'Contract Works' insurance in your area or call (02) 9964 9400.

I’ve submitted my claim, what happens now?

What we will do

  • Check that your claim form is complete and we have received everything we need to start managing your claim
  • Verify that a policy 'trigger' has been met: 
  • If your builder has become insolvent we can confirm this with a quick ASIC and/or National Personal Insolvency Index check 
  • If your builder has disappeared, we may need to make a few enquiries to prove that the builder cannot be found, which can take a little longer

Policy trigger confirmed?

  • Arrange a building consultant to visit your property and inspect the work that has been done on your home. It’s a good idea for you to be present when this inspection takes place

The Building Consultant will assess and report on each item you are claiming for. If you notice further defects after you have submitted the claim you can login to your claims portal, select the claim and ‘add defects’. Any additional defects must be submitted via the portal at least 2 business days before the Building Consultant visits the site.

  • Review the building consultant’s report and prepare a schedule of works which sets out all items that will be accepted under the policy   

We then ask you to get at least one quote from a builder of your choice to complete or rectify the items in the schedule of works. We may also get our own quote.

Once the quotes are in and agreed, we can proceed to settlement.